Saturday 23 August 2014

Sources List

Source 1


The Straits Times- "Key Moments in Life of S'Pore, as seen through pictures". Retrieved 23rd August 2014, from: http://www.straitstimes.com/the-big-story/defining-stories/story/key-moments-life-spore-seen-through-st-pictures-20140422#2




Source 2




The Straits Times, December 12, 1950- Extracted from the article dated earlier.Retrieved on 23rd August 2014, from: http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/independence/headline/race50.html


Source 3
"Why do you keep on fighting?" asked Che Aminah. "You gave your child to me to adopt as my own daughter."Mrs Hertogh replied she had only asked Aminah to look after Maria during the war. Her eyes searched the room. She kept on saying: "Where is my daughter?"After a few minutes Maria came out hesitantly and sat down with the others at the table.They argued together in Malay. Mrs Hertogh added, "Whatever may be the difficulties," she said, "I will stay here and overcome them until I can take you back to your father and brothers and sisters in Holland."Dry-eyed, Maria told her mother not to bother her any more. "If my parents love me," she said, "they should leave me where I am. Besides I cannot love you, because when I was a child you gave me away."Mrs Hertogh explained what had happened in the past and again pleaded that Maria should come back with her to her family. Maria said a firm "No" to all appeals. "I am a Muslim, I have made my choice and I will stay with my husband now until we die." At the end, when Mrs Hertogh wanted to kiss her, Maria turned away and buried her face in Che Aminah's back. Mrs Hertogh ran from the room, crying.

 Weeping Mother is told: I had made my choice( November 16 1950) First Published in 150 years of The Straits Times. Retrieved August 23 2014 from http://ourstory.asia1.com.sg/independence/lifeline/maria2.html



Source 4

May 20 Malay woman to lose Dutch 'daughter'
THE SINGAPORE CHIEF JUSTICE, Mr Justice Murray-Aynsley, yesterday ordered that a 13-year-old Dutch girl who has lived for eight years with a Malay woman in Java and Malaya should be given into the care of the Netherlands Consul-General who, it is understood, will return her to her parents in Holland.
After the decision, the girl, Maria Huberdina Hertogh, and Aminah, the Malay woman, clung to each other for almost an hour outside the Supreme Court. They declined to enter a waiting car, sobbed and vowed they would not be parted. With tears streaming down her face, Maria shouted in Malay (the only language she can speak): "Aminah is my mother. She has loved me, cared for me and brought me up."Then looking at Aminah, the girl said, "Do you love me, mother? If you love me don't leave me. I don't want to go with this man (a Dutch consular official)."
Malay woman to lose Dutch 'daughter' (May 20 1950) The Straits Times Retrieved August 23 2014 From  http://www.slideshare.net/missfateha/maria-hertogh-newspaper-articles#



Source 5



Source 6


Taken from book Tanjong Pagar : prosperity through adversity, page 69
Retrieved August 28 2014
From:http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/printheritage/image.aspx?id=0dd13908-1b25-4d06-94b6-70306fb46a7e&s=Maria%20Hertogh


Source 7

MARIA HERTOGH AND her mother, Mrs A. P. Hertogh, sat within a few feet of each other for four hours in the Singapore High Court yesterday, but neither looked at the other.
It was the first day of the case which has aroused world-wide interest and which will determine whether the Dutch girl, Maria, is to return with her mother to Holland or stay in Malaya with her husband, Inche Mansoor Adabi and with her foster-mother Che Aminah.
All the human hopes, the conflicting distress of mother, daughter, and foster-mother, were veiled in fine legal points as Mr E. D. Shearn, appearing for Mr and Mrs Hertogh, began his case before Mr Justice Brown.

Battle begins for Maria (Nov 21 1950) The Straits Times Retrieved 28 August 2014 From http://www.slideshare.net/missfateha/maria-hertogh-newspaper-articles# 

Source 8



The biological parents (right) of Maria Bertha Hertogh (foreground) where Maria will be assigned to them. December 3 1950. Retrieved 28th August 2014 From: http://www.anp-archief.nl/page/238245/nl

1 comment:

  1. For source one - three, are you choose the textual or pictorial source? For source four, your source is too long! You need to quote the relevant portion of it, of at least 50 words or more. You also need at least 8 or more sources. Pls follow the template given with list of citation and the actual sources below the citation table. If unsure, pls see me. - Mr Tan.

    ReplyDelete